And now, the folks that I have been spending the last 10 weeks with. First, the baby who needs to be to put on the UNESCO world heritage list of cutest babies. Her name is Isabela, and she is the daughter of Martin and Marta, the family we hang out with most and who cook for us.
Here is more of that family, Marta, Isabela, Isaac and Marie Elena. Isaac is the son of Marta and Martin, and Marie Elena is Marta's sister. She is having a baby boy in October. She helps Marta out with cooking and the like for us.
Martin, Marta's husband. He's also the president of the water board, and so we deal with him for stuff with the project as well.
Dulce and Isaac. Dulce is Isaac and Isabella's cousin, and is, as her name suggests - sweet. Isaac is almost 4, and is possibly one of the few people in Honduras who speaks less spanish than I do. His favorite expressions include, "que es esto" (what is this?), "este es mio" (this is mine), and "este es suyo" (this is yours).
Isaac is a force, and thus needs another picture. Here, I was trying to explain to him what the water test was that I was doing. Yes, Isaac, I know. We feel the same way.
More of 'em.
Kevin is also Isabela and Isaac's cousin, and lives with Marta's mother whose house we eat in. Kevin has told his classmates that Scott, who works on our project, is his uncle. His friends ask him why he didn't turn out gringo.
Sonia is Dulce's mom. Ciamara is another of Marta's sisters (there are 8 kids). Ciamara helps Marta a lot with her kids and the cooking for us.
Rubenia is indeed the matriarch of the family - she is Ciamara, Marta, and Marie Elena's mom. She is quite a riot. Dulce and Kevin are here with her.
This is Scott, who is also working on this project through Engineers for a Sustainable World. He likes spaghetti with tortillas, as shown here. He just finished his freshman year at berkeley and will be studying civil engineering.
This is Dan, taking a picture of the back of his throat. Dan is also a volunteer with this project. He just graduated from Cornell with a degree in Civil and Enviro Engineering. He worked on the design of this water treatment plant with a class at Cornell.
Here's me, as seemed to be my pose during the summer... looking at water.
And finally, some supporting cast. These guys use their machetes to, you guessed it, cut the lawn. Here they are, cutting the grass of the soccer field. It took 3 of them about 1 week.
And last but certainly not least, the old standby, plato tipico. We had plato tipico for basically every breakfast and dinner. It was always served with tortillas, although the items in the plate changed. The spiky thing in my hand is a fruit... kind of like a lychee.
Soon, I'll have similar shots of some of the people we worked with.
Sunday, August 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














1 comment:
Hi Kelly,
I'm not sure how to get in touch with you so I thought I'd try this. I am from Eta Kappa Nu headquarters in Chicago and am interested in getting in touch with you (and other outstanding HKN members such as yourself) to write an article for THE BRIDGE magazine or to talk to some of our current members. We read about you in a newspaper article about your activities in Antarctica and I found this blog online. You are truly inspiring and would be a great role model for current HKN members. We hope you would be interested in sharing some of your stories. You can email me Melissa@hkn.org or visit www.hkn.org to update your info or get our contact info. I hope to hear from you! Good luck in your travels!
Post a Comment