Thursday, June 01, 2006

Parque Nacional Tortugeuro, parte 2


green lizardish thing
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
Everybody loves a cute green lizard! While we were in Tortuguero we took a few boat trips around... the forest and canals were beautiful, but what was rather amazing was the sheer mass of wildlife of all sorts.



damn, its pretty
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
See, isn't it just beautiful? Here's a shot from an early morning boat ride.



blue heron, strutting
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
One of the many pajaros -- this guy was a blue heron and quite the showsmen. We sat in our boat near him to take some pictures and he didn't move. Then he put out one wing, then the other. QUite the little center of attention.



oh! another bird
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
Here's a nice white bird, and its reflection. Can't say much more than that. As you can see, I am quite the environmentalist. There were a ton of amazing birds and other creatures that you think are only in Pixar movies, but actually exist. From what I can from the interests of the other people on our trip, when I am 75 I will be able to identify and describe any of these birds.



movie set
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
If the animals weren't movie-like enough, the scenery was.



cayman
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
This guy is a cayman. There were quite a few as the day got hotter, and some with little babies.



Its a poison dart frog
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
This is a poison dart frog. They are mini, and if I had better access to basic computing resources now I would blow up the shot. But apparently if one decides to touch the skin of this frog, one has many problems. Folks used to dip darts in the stuff of this skin... hence the name.



yeah, camoflauge
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
Where is the lizard thing? Camouflage - sweet!



el mar caribe
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
The village area that we stayed at was about 200 meters wide, and a little over 1/2 km wide. On one side are these canals and forest, on the other side is the Caribbean. These kids are diggin' it.



red eyed tree frog
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
This is quite possibly the best creature in all of Costa Rica or in all the world. Its red eyed tree frog. Guess why. This is not a great shot of them - there underbelly is bright blue, and they have the best little separated feet things. Why are they the best - because they are so, so absurdly cute.



the hotel, tortuguero
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
This is our little hotel... cute with lots of nice little details. A nicer pad then most of my other travels, and a great way to finish up the trip.



My friends from Holland
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
Our group had a range of people - from folks a bit younger than me, to quite older ladies. There were 16 of us, and three separate groups from Holland. These were a few of them - one couple that had just been married and were on their honeymoon and two girls that were friends and were travelling around. I learned a couple fun dutch words hanging out with them, and had some killer games of yahtzee. One of the girls was a big fan.



My host family
Originally uploaded by kkozdras.
I returned to San Jose the night before my flight, and stayed for the last time with my host family. Here they are Olga, Jorge, and Manuel. We had a nice time while I was there - I mostly spent time with Olga, and since we were gone so many weekends and had so much going on in the days, it was always a bit rushed. But they had students for many years and were very accommodating. I left on a Saturday morning, and all of a sudden was back in the US. KNowing that I was returning to Central America in a few weeks made it all a bit easier to leave. Costa Rica is indeed a beautiful country, and my time there was super nice. But I definitely was looking forward to seeing another country, and soon enough that came. Next, I'll continue with my time in Honduras.

No comments: